 Off-Topic / Debate / 11843
Re: Book burning (was Re: Flag Burning)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 00:06:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
That's an interesting stance.  Did he write the _Gap_ books?  I had a friend
reading them who thought the psychology of the characters was so incredibly
deep (read twisted and melodramatic) that it must surely qualify as some of
the best SF of all time.  I disagreed.

You say "disagreed" like you mean "thought he was a loony" :)

Did you mean "he" my friend, or "he" the author?  Either way, you were right,
except that this particular friend was a woman.

By about halfway through the first one, I was wondering if there were any
people that weren't horribly extreme caricatures in the setting.  I never
really lost that sense of wonder...

I think I finished the first two books and had to politely excuse myself from
the series when Beth tried to foist the next book on me.  Your awe at the
characters is exactly how I felt.  Unfortuneately, it included nausea.

Chris (Who thinks that Vinge writes the best SF.)

Vinge writes good stuff.

I thought that I might clarify this...I mean Vinge, Vernor -- not Vinge, Joan
D.  (Who is OK, but not a master.)

Chris