 Off-Topic / Debate / 11875
11874  |  11876
Subject:
Pledge (was Re: Flag Burning)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:51:27 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

If I am remembering correctly, the ACLU was trying to have it removed from
schools because it mentions God.

I think that some people want it gone for that reason, but I think that's kind
of dumb and petty.

I wouldn't call a religious based argument dumb and petty (even if it is being
asked for on nonreligious grounds, i.e. separation of church and state, or "what
about the atheists?"), it might get a whole new thread going ;-)

Oops, too late.

The real reason to be done with it is that requiring any
kind of pledge of affiliation of children is antithetical to a free society.
if our nation and our way of life can not stand against the next generation's
free thought and inquiry then things ought to change.  We should never require
or even encourage such oaths.  That way is stagnation.

Sure, I agree, but a major objection I have to it is the religious overtones.

(I also don't agree with "In God We Trust" on US money, either)

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/