 Off-Topic / Debate / 11908
Re: What is spam? (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 08:46:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Selçuk Göre writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Selçuk Göre writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Selçuk Göre writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Selçuk Göre writes:

<snip>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1402000/1402880.stm

Wow!.. Is this really a big news story? I didn't expected that.

I'd characterise it as significant! It's bad news for democracy to ban
political parties (or make the playing field uneven, as it is in the US),
even ones that are advocating non democratic courses. (that is why banning
the Communist party was wrong back when the US did it)

I really don't agree. In a country like mine, you can't go fully democratic
since there is no common sense majority that prevent the population from • total
collapse into some stupid "islamic republic" thing, just like in Iran. In a
country like mine, where the education level of people quite low and • distorted,
where we still talking about litracy rates (still less than 90% by the way) • you
cannot allow a bunch of people playing with very sensitive issues like
religion, by which gathering quite big mass of fans is very easy.

Was it something you were aware of already, Selçuk? That is, did it make • the
Turkish press? And how does the Turkish press reporting contrast with the
BBCs? My view of the Turkish press (based on nothing at all other than gut
feeling and some superficial reading) is that it's not particularly free.
(tieing back to the First Amendment and freedom of press)

Larry, don't do that to me..:-) Yes, Turkey is a 3rd world country, still
trying to immitate playing in the first league, but we are certainly not
"patagonia" from a B-movie spy story.

Of course I'm aware of that, and of course it was first news during the • whole
final stage of the judgement. There are more than 20 leading national
newspapers (none state owned), more than 20 national TV channels (only 1 • state
owned) and countless local ones of each. And of course all of them given • the
news of it from their point of view. Religious ones protested, common • popular
media didn't make comments, and social democrat ones approved. None of • which
closed or something.

Our mother law does not allow foundation of political parties of that kind
(advocating of a certain part of people over the others, related to race,
religion, class, etc.), and one of the first articles of the same law • clearly
indicates that Turkish Republic is laicist. It must be closed under the • current
law, and it is closed, that's all.  So I still can't understand why this • stupid
issue makes an entry in Scott's top 4 list.

I still can (although it is not a "top 4 list"). The fact is that Turkey is
an oppressive country which is, as you say, "trying to imitate playing in
the first league". I think it is important that everyone knows what sort of
place Turkey is (A point I think you agree with by inviting LP there). I
note, with some interest, that the UK may not back the Ilusu dam:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4213887,00.html

And if Larry does venture to Turkey, do you recommend that he does not
express any views which may lead the security forces feeling that he
supports "some stupid" Turkish Islamic Republic? If he does, will they take
him away during the night?

Scott A

Are you cluless or what? Yeah I'm really meaning it. I know what sort of • place
Turkey is, but do you really?

For your information, political islam is very strong here in Turkey, and they
have all the support from all levels of government and breukracy. The party • is
closed because they push the limits way tooooooo much, in an extent which
cannot be covered by their protective sheets. You can do almost anything
supporting the islam or almost anything by saying "because of islam" and you
will be most probably applauded, not taken over during night.

By the way, read someother things about us, not your biased media 8or ours, • or
theirs) and try to meet someone who lived in Turkey at least for a while, if
this issue is very important to you as you mentioned above.

Unlike the media in many other countries, some of the media in the UK really
is independant. Independent even of corporate advertising. Before I posted
the message I had replied to, I read this article about how visitors to
Turkey had been treated by your police. Perhaps they were "clueless" to:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/from_our_own_correspondent/newsid_86200
0/862056.stm

So what? Some of your parliements came here to make troble, and police came and

"make trouble"? Were they stealing cars? Were they breaking into shops? What
was this "trouble"?

ask for their papers, and went back when they refused to show. I can't see any
problem here.

In the UK it would be called harrasment.

Maybe you just can't imagine in your ivory tower to what extent
Turkish Police could produce problems?..:-)

Perhaps not.

I'm not agains't
your effort of trying the show others "what sort of place Turkey is", but
please do it correctly. There are so many issues about the things going wrong
in Turkey, so pressing the stupid points would not help nothing but • clulessness
of you.

By the way please do not continue giving stupid biased site addresses here. • If
you check out our previous fight, I already made my statement about this • "ilisu
dam" thing before. Go read it.

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=10056

I have not seen any independent report which backs the dam project. Perhaps
you need to read independent reports on it? A quick search for "ilisu dam"
produces these "clueless" sites - some of which are independent:
http://www.ilisu.org.uk/
http://www.rivernet.org/tmpilisu.htm
http://www.sarahludfordmep.org.uk/
http://www.wac.uct.ac.za/whd/ilisu_lett.htm
http://www.foe.co.uk/pubsinfo/infoteam/pressrel/2001/20010703172558.html
http://www.eca-watch.org/artwestminister.html
http://www.heureka.clara.net/sunrise/ilisu.htm
http://www.khrp.org/publish/p1999/ilisu%20report.htm
http://www.peopleandplanet.org/ilisu/
http://www.irn.org/wcd/ilisu.shtml
http://www.labournet.net/ukunion/0101/balfour1.html

Look Scott; In very rare cases (as I've seen), you can act like a man who
understands what people are saying, and I'm praying right now you are in this
mood again while reading this part of the message. At first, if you have all
these independent (so *of course* they must be unbaised at the same time) sites
at your hand, whay do you give the most stupid one at first(1), so allowing
me, Selçuk the poor little third worlder, making a dumb out of you?

I have no probelm with that site.

Second, I don't care anything about the damned Ilisu dam. Do you ever heard the
Turkish phrase "sikimden asagi kasimpasa"(2)? Should I add that I really really
don't care about English support for the damned dam project? Would your
country doing it as a donation? Huh? Why do you still believe that supporting
it or not should be my concern?

The issue is bigger than the dam. If Turkey cannot be trusted to build a
dam, why should they get into the EU?

Damn', this ilisu dam thing was not the subject, not even related to it. Even
it was not so related when you first mentioned it in a previous old fight,
wasn't it?

That dam is one of the 1st things that pops into my mind when I hear the
name of your country.

Scott A

Selçuk

(1)http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=10056
(2)if you know the meaning, you already know that I won't continue anymore.