 Off-Topic / Debate / 11914
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:43:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:

So don't bother trying at all, eh? Is there any way to prove your notion,
Tom? I think America could at least TRY to ban all handguns, for heaven's
sake.

And what if it doesn't work, what then? Are you going to reimburse everyone,
or just say "sorry about that" and make everyone buy new ones?

And make penalties stiffer for people, namely criminals, found with guns.

Reread this one a few times, everyone, and think about what it means.

Dan, on the other hand, you might want to read the Federalist Papers if you
haven't already. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the point of
gun ownership isn't to enable hunting or target shooting or even crime
prevention and self defense. Those are just beneficial *side effects*. The
*point* is to be the final check against tyranny.

The NRA are a bunch of wusses because they push the self defense angle
instead of this one. I stopped giving cash to them years ago.

Perhaps they are only being honest with themselves. They are far more likely
to use their gun in self-defence against a perceived criminal than they are
to use it against state tyranny. I expect most guns are bought in the US as
a fashion accessory or to use in self-defence. This fact is reflected in all
the noise you make about carrying a gun. Do you do this for self-defence or
because you expect BATF black helicopters to come and get you at any moment
as part of some sort of paranoid fantasy?

Further, why make all the noise about carrying a gun? Is it to scare us away
from coming to get you? Is it so we know you are a real man? Is because the
BATF read this group? Or is it because you watch Cagey and Lacy re-runs too
much?

Scott A

++Lar