 Off-Topic / Debate / 11921
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 07:59:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

I'd handle that by not giving idiots guns.

How do you diagnose, let alone enforce that?

Test them in some way.

What would you use as criteria for testing?

Inspect how the store their guns (this happens in the UK).

Governing *who* is allowed to own a firearm is different than governing
*how* a firearm is stored. How are inspections conducted? Are they random,
or planned? Does the governement need permission to enter your residence for
the inspection? What is considered "proper" firearm storage? Who determines
what "proper" firearm storage is?

There are rules are regulations which must be met before a gun can be owned.
100% of those wanting to own a gun have there storage provision checked. A
medical certificate is also required. Once one has a gun, I am not sure what
checks are undertaken but I think one has to go through the whole process
once the licence is up for renewal (I am not sure how often that is – 1 to 5
years I expect).

Scott A

Scott A

-Duane