 Off-Topic / Debate / 11891
11890  |  11892
Subject:
The position of authority (was: Handgun Death Rate)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:20:29 GMT

We have the lesson in our recent past of literacy tests that any white could
pass but even a college grad in english lit who happened to be black could
not. Similarly, I fear the unscrupulous opponents of guns within the
government would use this mechanism to keep all from owning, or all except
their cronies.

I'm amazed by this lack of trust in the authorities.  In the UK, we elect
people to office.  If they do a lousy job, we elect someone else next time.
The constant threat of losing their job generally makes them listen to the
populace during their term of office.  In turn they regulate other
authorities such as the legal system and law enforcement (and occasionally
you get ministers on the receiving end...).  Party politics skews it a bit,
but it's generally let be for the stability it brings.  So far, it seems to
work.  We may have a slightly cynical attitude (we're British, don'cha
know?), and we may take issue with individual ministers, but in the main,
it's accepted that our MPs do a resonable job.

All the posts here from opponents to US gun control seem to show you don't
trust the government or its agencies one bit, so you stock arms to defend
yourself.  I have to admit the law on land seizure is shocking, and I'd be
seriously worried - but why do you keep voting these people in?  The
attitude seems to be one of complacency at election time (just following the
commercial media hype), on the understanding that you can always stage your
own defence if something happens to you personally.  Law enforcement is
bound to fail if the law-abiding majority fail to respect it, and your
government will never clean up its act if it always gets its way by throwing
money around.

Jason J Railton