 Off-Topic / Debate / 12095
Re: The position of authority (was: Handgun Death Rate)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:28:44 GMT

The solution that I would like to see for the US is undistricting.  If we • were
electing the top n representitives instead of the top one from n districts,
then small parties would get at least some representation.  When that • happened,
I expect their views would receive note and that added interest and exposure
would help them gain more seats.

But is the flip side not that small parties end up with too much power - the
tail starts wagging the dog? I suppose the Israeli system of election is the
best example of this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1453000/1453245.stm

I don't think so.  In the case presented in your link, I'm not sure that the
small conservative party is exercising more than it's share of control.
Presumably the people back them in rough relation to their voting power.  What
I am troubled by, both in our system and the other ones with many parties, is
why the members of the party all vote as a block.  Why even have more than one
rep for each party if they're all required to vote the same?  I'd really rather
not have parties at all, but I guess that's not possible.

Chris