 Off-Topic / Debate / 11900
Re: The position of authority (was: Handgun Death Rate)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:31:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason J. Railton writes:

All the posts here from opponents to US gun control seem to show you don't
trust the government or its agencies one bit, so you stock arms to defend
yourself.  I have to admit the law on land seizure is shocking, and I'd be
seriously worried - but why do you keep voting these people in?

I don't.  The people for whom I vote, lose.  What can I do?
I am completely at the mercy of the majority.

Further, the system has been deliberately skewed (on many levels) to ensure
that the current two parties are virtually unseatable, so the hope for real
change at the ballot box is slim.

Fortunately, the two parties we are stuck with tend to embrace (watered down
versions) of ideas that gain in popularity. They do this to coopt small
parties rather than because the ideas are good, but the outcome is that we
get change. Since libertarianism (small L) is on the rise, we have seen tiny
movements in party position and in statements. These translate into even
tinier changes, but they ARE changes.

++Lar