 Off-Topic / Debate / 11881
Re: Drugs and guns
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 19:08:15 GMT

But I'd rather have guns, drugs, and freedom.

Very concise!

Y'all can talk about these issues until everyone is blue in the face (or at
least blue in the typing fingers...) but in the United States we have de
facto guns and drugs in the hands of anyone wanting them.

Yes, we have laws and principles supporting the individual ownership of
guns; and yes, we have prohibitions against the ownership and use of drugs.
Funny how contridictory circumstances can yet arrive at the same
conclusions, huh?

The street has it's own uses for things...

My biggest problem with people talking about the future control of weapons
is the fact that criminals (almost by definition and because THEY ARE
criminals) have a tendency to flout the law! As to the possible
effectiveness of law enforcement to effect such a ban on a guns, look no
further than the ability of law enforcement to keep drugs out of prisons!  I
mean, if they can't keep drugs out of prisons (where they presumably control
EVERY aspect of an incarcerated person's life) what hope is there for them
achieving any significant change in the general population when even a few
resist their efforts?  From my perspective, such discussion is ridiculous on
its face...

Nobody wants violence. Nobody wants drug abuse.  We shall probably always
have both because that's JUST how people are -- some people think with their
fists, and others love to pop stuff into their mouths or shoot it into their
veins.  If you really want to stop these problems you have to go to the root
of the problems: population density, economic factors, treating drug
addiction as a health problem rather than a law enforcement issue, etc.

Laws look pretty and sound impressive when you read them aloud to
like-minded people -- they don't mean **** to the people on the street!  I
don't know how many of you have been paying attention but...

...chaos always prevails over controls!

Y'know how it is, one day you are back in Eden looking over your primordial
soup and everything is fine, the sun is shining and it's a most pleasant day
-- and the next thing you know, you have stuff combining in the soup to form
a DNA chain! After that, all hell breaks loose!

-- Hop-Frog