 Off-Topic / Debate / 11879
Re: Drugs and guns
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 18:36:31 GMT

RICO. I think it is "Racketeering Influenced Corrupt Organizations" or
something close to that. It's a great little law if you also like civil
forfeiture...

And it's pretty closely related to two other gems: the use of conspiracy
laws beyond cases involving treason (previously providing the only use of
conspiracy laws), and the use of testimony bought with bargained for
punishment agreements.

FWIW, it is my understanding that the English system doesn't allow for plea
bargaining -- which to my mind is a huge improvement over what we allow over
here in the States.  How plea baragained testimony isn't seen as corrupted
by the obvious payment of less time in jail, or immunity is beyond me...who
tells the truth when lies gain one freedom from a cage?

-- Hop-Frog