 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 189
Re: GLUT 4 for Mac OS X
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:15:44 GMT

On Thursday, June 13, 2002, at 11:50  AM, Don Heyse wrote:

Cool, now I'm faced with the dilemma of which version to distribute for
OS X.  I guess it's better to assume the user hasn't replaced the default
GLUT library.

I would distribute the 0.9.5c one, it works better than 0.9.5 even without
the new GLUT. (Although yes I would agree not assume the user has replaced
the default GLUT library.)

If there is anything else you'd like to me to test with this let me know,
I'm not sure what other issues this version of GLUT was supposed to have
fixed.

Somewhere in this thread there was a whole list of bugs with the keyboard
and the mouse.  I don't think the shift key worked in the old GLUT,
and there were some problems with the STEP commands.  I think the old
GLUT made it do two STEPs for the price of one...

It was the Control key that didn't work in the old GLUT--nor in the new
one. I think because control-clicking brings up the pop-up menu (as I
noted in the message I sent just before I received this one).

I think the new GLUT fixes the STEP command, too (someone else please test
this part too, I don't have many models with STEPs in them).

Oh, hot! There is now a pop-up menu when you control-click on the content
area... not sure if this was supposed to be there all along (it wasn't
before, to my knowledge), but it lets you change the background color,
among other things! Nifty.

I think the old OS X glut may have put that on the menu bar.  It's
nothing special, and I've actually been working on replacing the menus
with something better for the next release.

Yeah I made some suggestions for tweaking that menu in my other message,
but if you're coming up with something new (or improved), that's cool too.

<snip about distributing the new GLUT>

I really don't know what to do with this except to perhaps point it out
from the ldglite web page.  I assume it builds replacement shared library
that doesn't require you to rebuild ldglite.  Would a binary and a
script file to install it help?  Does the Mac come with a packaging system
that could automate an install?  Can we get a binary from the Darwin or
Fink projects?  I've got lots of questions, but no answers.

Yes compiling the new GLUT constructs a new "GLUT.framework" folder, with
which you replace the old GLUT.framework folder. I think frameworks are
sort of like shared libraries (you don't have to recompile programs to
take advantage of them), but I'm not sure exactly. One of the things that
might make it tricky for the average user to update is that the Frameworks
directory of the Mac OS X system is protected (this means you can't just
drag the new folder into it, you have to get root access either via the
sudo command or by logging in as root.. unless there is a simpler way that
I am missing?).

IF there is no official way of distributing the GLUT update (I would
suspect that the update *would* be included in a major Mac OS upgrade, one
of which is due out towards the end of summer), I might be able to come up
with a solution, either an installer or a script the user can run that
automates the installation, although I can't guarantee anything.

When I get the time (I suppose I have plenty currently), I will try to
find out a few things:

A) if the new GLUT will be included in the next Mac OS X update (if so,
coming up with an indepandant installer will not be such a priority,
although would still be nice for those who don't upgrade).

B) if the new GLUT will NOT be included in the next Mac OS X update, I
will try to find out what would be necessary to create an easy-to-use
installer, and see if that is something I could be capable of doing, and
if so, do it.

I think we ought to bring the author of the new GLUT into this discussion,
  he probably knows more about distributing it then we do and might have
some of the answers.

Jim