 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 187
Re: GLUT 4 for Mac OS X
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:50:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Jim DeVona writes:
On Thursday, June 13, 2002, at 10:56  AM, Jim DeVona wrote:

Erik pointed out a patched version of GLUT for
OS X here:

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/mac/?n=117

Well actually I did try it, I compiled the project in PB (it compiled
with no modifications needed) and substituted it for the old
GLUT.framework... unfortunately, when I ran ldglite (0.9.5, not 0.9.5c)
mouse rotation did not work at all in ledit l3 mode, which is the mode I
started up in. I regret to say I didn't test it further but instead just
replaced it with the old one.

I just tried it again, and must retract what I said about it before. I'm
not sure why it didn't work before, but it does now. Additionally, the
cursor disappears during mouse rotation, as it is supposed to.

Cool, now I'm faced with the dilemma of which version to distribute for
OS X.  I guess it's better to assume the user hasn't replaced the default
GLUT library.

If there is anything else you'd like to me to test with this let me know,
I'm not sure what other issues this version of GLUT was supposed to have
fixed.

Somewhere in this thread there was a whole list of bugs with the keyboard
and the mouse.  I don't think the shift key worked in the old GLUT,
and there were some problems with the STEP commands.  I think the old
GLUT made it do two STEPs for the price of one...

Oh, hot! There is now a pop-up menu when you control-click on the content
area... not sure if this was supposed to be there all along (it wasn't
before, to my knowledge), but it lets you change the background color,
among other things! Nifty.

I think the old OS X glut may have put that on the menu bar.  It's
nothing special, and I've actually been working on replacing the menus
with something better for the next release.

ldglite for Mac OS X is really coming along well now.

Say, how do you go about publicizing that new GLUT? Is that something that
you incorporate into the ldglite code, or is that something that Apple has
to include with the OS? Basically what I'm asking is the only way for
people to get it to download it from that home page and manually build it
themselves? Because I am willing to bet that a lot of people who would
like to play with legos on the mac aren't to familiar with compiling
things themselves, or with sudo'ing their way into the Mac OS X System
framework directory.

I really don't know what to do with this except to perhaps point it out
from the ldglite web page.  I assume it builds replacement shared library
that doesn't require you to rebuild ldglite.  Would a binary and a
script file to install it help?  Does the Mac come with a packaging system
that could automate an install?  Can we get a binary from the Darwin or
Fink projects?  I've got lots of questions, but no answers.

Don