 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 153
Re: Could someone run a perspective mode test on ldglite?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 13:37:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Travis Cobbs writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Don Heyse writes:
No it's not.  But I'm glad the -z100 -Z2000 settings for the clipping
planes fix it.  Those are the clip plane settings I used to fix it
for the 16Bit depth buffer on Mesa, so I guess I'll use them if the
GL_VENDOR or GL_VERSION strings contain the word "ATI".  I don't want
to do it for all 24bit depth buffers because default clip planes seem
to work on a 24bit Nvidia TNT.  I suspect ATI still has problems with
the polygon offset function in their drivers.  Does anyone have a
Rage 128 on a Windows machine?  (This is probably the wrong place to
ask that question :^)

True, but lucky for you, I was following this thread, and my work machine
(Windows 2000) has a Rage 128 Pro.  I get the same effect with the -J
option.  The -z100 -Z2000 fixes it.

I knew it!  The opengl driver for my older Rage Pro is terrible.  I think
they just tested it for quake, which probably doesn't use lines at all.

One really strange thing, though.  As far as I can tell, LDView doesn't
detect polygon offset at all on this ATI card (in Windows 2000).  Do you
have some alternative algorithm that you use when glPolygonOffset doesn't
exist?  I'll have to debug to be sure, but I believe that
wglGetProcAddress("glPolygonOffset") returns NULL on this machine.

I'm not sure what that NULL means.  Does it mean there's no fn, or
that it falls back to a non-hardware version of the fn?  Or does it
mean that there is no extension fn for glPolygonOffset because it's
a core fn in opengl 1.1?

Anyhow, I don't use wglGetProcAddress(), I just call glPolygonOffset
and expect it to work.  According to the specs, it's supposed to be
part of opengl 1.1 and higher.  The version string says 1.1 so it
should be there.  Right?

Don