 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 165
Re: Could someone run a perspective mode test on ldglite?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 19:25:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Jim DeVona writes:
The ctrl modifier doesn't seem to work, but shift and alt do.

I also added some fn keys to spin the model about
the various axis by 1 and 5 degrees but didn't document it because I'd
like to come up with a more consistent interface.  Here's the code
if you want to try it (no guarentees on the Mac though):

(code)

It does work! Furthermore, this kind of spinning is more useful (to
me) than the translation and rolling provided by the arrows and
alt-arrows. Personally, I would even prefer to have this
functionallity as alt-arrow or ctrl-arrow rather than camera
rolling. See, I think it is important because these commands are
focused on the model (or at least the origin of the axes), while the
camera moving/rolling commands are not, which makes it easier to
become "lost" or disoriented while moving the camera with them. In
other words, I think it is easier to come up with good perspectives
of the models by orbiting them than by independantly moving the
camera about them because orbiting automatically 'tracks' the model,
assuming the model is located near the origin.

I suppose being able to move the camera independantly is helpful for
actual scene modelling, but for my purposes - which currently is just
taking pictures of single models from various nifty angles - orbiting
the model is more convenient.

Hopefully that makes sense, basically what I'm saying is that the FN
button spinning commands you mentioned do work, and that I find them
to be useful, so it'd be great if they were further developed and
documented.

Hmmm, well, I don't believe I've ever received a single comment on the
"camera" moving keys before.  Plus I've never been quite happy with
the way they affect the opengl view matrix (but not the ldraw matrix).
So I suppose I could just redefine them for the next release.

How about this?

  Arrows keys move the current part LEDIT mode, the model in LDRAW mode.
  Shifted Arrow keys spin the model by 1 degree.
  Alt and Arrow keys spin the model by 5 degrees.
  Shift, Alt, and Arrows spin the model by 45 degrees.
  Ctrl Arrow key combinations are reserved for manipulating the camera.

  Forget about the function keys.  I'll reserve them for other stuff.

Don