 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 134
Re: Some bugs with LDGLite
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 03:39:36 GMT

Hi Don,

In article <Gx8Ix2.8x9@lugnet.com>,
"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Christopher Masi writes:
I just started playing with LDGLIte and I noticed a few things.

Do you have access to a console window?  Ldglite prints some info
out to the console that might be helpful here.  For example, what
does it print out about the opengl version and extensions?  How
many color, depth, and stencil bits does it say you have?

This is what get printed into the Terminal when I launch ldglite (using
the rename as ldgledit trick). I always use the editing mode because
LDGLite just keeps cycling through the steps of drawing the model over
and over again if I let it start up in the ldglite mode.

GL_VERSION = 1.1 ATI-1.1
GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_APPLE_specular_vector GL_APPLE_transform_hint
GL_APPLE_packed_pixel GL_APPLE_client_storage
GL_APPLE_client_address_range GL_ARB_transpose_matrix
GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_NV_texgen_reflection
GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_texture_env_add
GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra
GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp
GL_VENDOR ='ATI Technologies Inc.'
GL_RENDERER ='Rage 128 OpenGL Engine'
GL_RGBA_BITS: (8, 8, 8, 8)
GL_DEPTH_BITS = 24
GL_STENCIL_BITS = 8
Buffer Swap Mode = 0
Editing mode =  1{0}
Could not find ldliterc.dat
Referenced by *

My OS settings are for a 1024x768 pixel screen with 32 bits per pixelIn
case it is important, my system is a Rage Mobility 128 with 8 MB VRAM.

1. Selecting parts (page up and page down) in LEdit mode doesn't work
right if my display is set to a resolution higher than 750x550.

To be more specific about this, I can select the parts, but the
highlighting/outlining of the part does not go away when the next part
is selected. Hiding the window doesn't help get rid of the extra
highlights, but choosing a new view (1,2,3,etc) does eliminate the extra
highlights.

After reading your post I tried

./ldgledit -LEDIT -v799,599 mini.dat

and the model didn't display at all until I started selecting the parts.
Then the parts appeared (without studs) and there was no vivible
highlighting. Using

./ldgledit -LEDIT -v750,550 mini.dat

the model didn't display until I started selecting parts, and the
highlighting of the selected parts worked properly (still no studs).

Editing mode = 1{1} when I type -LEDIT option.

Do you know which editing mode you're using?  I think ldglite prints
something like "Editing mode = 1(1)".  The number in parenthesis tells
which of the two modes it's using.  You should be able to choose
the mode on the command line with uppercase -LEDIT or lowercase -ledit.
And if the ALT key works in the OSX version of glut you can enter
either of the ledit modes from ldraw mode by pressing either the
INSERT key, or ALT-INSERT.

To bad my PowerBook doesn't have an "insert" key.

Yes, I am using the 1{0} mode. See above.

The reason I ask is because the two modes use different opengl buffers
and functions to achieve the effects.  I initially did this so I could
a version that worked on my ancient laptop, and a better looking version
for my slightly faster pentium II.  But along the way I discovered
bugs in the drivers of some video cards that prevent things from working
right.

2. After continuing to work with a model for a while, LDGLite in LEdit
mode will not display the parts that I move. Though, the part have been
moved. Saving, quiting, and reopening the files shows the parts in their
new positions.

Hmmm, that's odd.  This isn't the "display to current part" feature,
or the "start display at line N" feature is it?  You can toggle both
of those in the options menu, but I don't think I have any status to
tell if either feature is active.

Hmm, I don't know. It is possible that I changed a setting while
editing. I still haven't figured out how to back out of a menu
gracefully. I suspect that my keyboard is missing the key I need to get
out of a menu when it doesn't contain the command I want. I'll try to
avoid inadvertantly selecting the options menu next time I use ldglite
and see if I still bump into the same problem.

What happens is that I'll select a part, move it over, rotate it (the
highlighted outline moves), and then select the next part, normally, the
computer pauses and then draws the part in the new position, but
sometimes just leaves the image of the part where it was (though in the
file, the part is in the new position.)

Remember, these are just bug reports. I am extremely glad that I can run
LDRAW type software on my Mac OS X system.

And I'm glad to get the bug reports.  Unfortunately it's difficult to
do much of anything about them.  I can compile an executable for OSX
on the sourceforge compilefarm, but I don't have a Mac to run it (or
debug it) on.  I'll try and see what I can do though.  Meanwhile I

Wish I could help you there. I can poke a new/beta version with a stick
if you want, but I am pretty dense when it comes to the technical
details.

should probably dig up that list of bugs James sent me...

Don

Oh... I forgot one! The mouse rotation doesn't work right. The model
always rotates in the same direction?! Mouse/track pad goes up model
goes up, mouse/track pad goes down model goes up. Same with left and
right. Actually, every once and a while it works correctly for a split
second.

OK how does one forget that the mouse doesn't work? I got so used to
using the number keys as a work around, that I forgot that I might
actually want to rotate the model.

Thanks again,
Chris

--