 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 139
Re: Could someone run a perspective mode test on ldglite?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 16:34:20 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Don Heyse writes:
Neat pics, but while viewing them I realized that all of the
perspective (non-orthographic) views displayed a lot of z-fighting
(underlying surfaces and lines bleeding through).  This also
used to happen in Mesa because of the default 16bit zbuffer.
I fixed it there by moving the znear and zfar clip planes closer
together if GL_DEPTH_BITS reports a value less than 24.  Perhaps
I need to do it for values less than 32 instead.  If I recall,
someone posted that ATI rage 128 used on the Macs posted a value
of GL_DEPTH_BITS = 24 when ldglite is run.  Can someone verify
this?

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but one thing I noticed in
LDView is that setting the polygon offset too high will result in some of
the observed problems.  In particular, the problem on inverse slope bricks
of the pillar showing through the slope is aggravated by polygon offset.
This can be seen in this picture from that site:

http://wind.prohosting.com/anoved/legopics/hatchet/5.jpg

Having said that, there may be a more general Z buffer problem causing the
display problems in the images.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)