 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 156
Re: Could someone run a perspective mode test on ldglite?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 20:26:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Don Heyse writes:
I'm not sure what that NULL means.  Does it mean there's no fn, or
that it falls back to a non-hardware version of the fn?  Or does it
mean that there is no extension fn for glPolygonOffset because it's
a core fn in opengl 1.1?

Hmm.  I was under the (mistaken) impression that glPolygonOffset was
introduced in OpenGL 1.2.  A NULL return from wglGetProcAddress means that
the extension function requested doesn't exist.  Apparently the ATI driver
returns NULL for core functions.  The nVidia driver returns the address
anyway.  Given that Windows OpenGL is defined as version 1.1,
glPolygonOffset isn't an extension, I guess.

Anyhow, I don't use wglGetProcAddress(), I just call glPolygonOffset
and expect it to work.  According to the specs, it's supposed to be
part of opengl 1.1 and higher.  The version string says 1.1 so it
should be there.  Right?

Yep.  My mistaken assumption that it was introduced in OpenGL 1.2 caused me
to use wglGetProcAddress to find the function.  This is required in Windows
for anything not in OpenGL 1.1.  I will probably update LDView accordingly
now.  I just checked, and it works fine on my work machine when I just use
the core function, instead of calling wglGetProcAddress.

--Travis Cobbs