 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 479
Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 16:35:07 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Michel Magnan writes:
I agree with John, that it would be best if you had atleast two separate
loops of track.  (I still like Chris' "law" that the continuous loop(s) not
run along the branch of a switch.)  With a layout that size, if only one
locomotive can run at a time, it will look even more bare.  I thought that
one of the reasons for a larger layout was to have the opportunity to run
more trains.

Yup.  A 60' layout is going to look pretty empty with only 1 train.  I like
(John's?) suggestion for doing 2 loops.

It might be more realistic if there is atleast a smaller yard at the other
end, that way the trains are going somewhere.  Steve, I forgot to clarify
one of your earlier questions, I have a few pieces to make up a port scene,
not much yet, but a start, maybe it could be added to the city end.

Cool.  The more stuff we've got, the better.

With a long layout like this, the electrical resistance in the track will be
important to counteract.  I will post separately to the trains group for
their comments on minimum length of track between electrical connections,
but in my small home layout, I have 4 separate connections to my track, to
avoid dead or slow patches of track. I counted all my wires and here is my list:
7 of the 51.5 inch connectors
4 of the 22 inch connectors
8 of the 11.5 inch connectors
5 of the 6.5 inch connectors
5 of the 4.75 inch connectors
and 10 of the track connectors they each give you about 19 inches of usable
cable.
If you add this all up, it is only 65.5 feet of cable, barely enough to
reach once across the layout.

I've got 13 of the longest connector, and a smattering of the smallest 2
sizes.  And 1 track connector.  (I thought I had two, but can't find the
other one.)

James