 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 455
Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Mountain Switching
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 17:06:58 GMT

I'm posting this also in the main trains group in case someone has
indeed cut the edge off some switches or found a way to make a
switching yard close together like this.  I'm going to try an interleaved
yard to get the tracks the way I want - I'll post a shot of the results.

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Steve Chapple writes:
We can incorporate a line going along a mountain ridge
without much difficulty.
Great.
How long can you make the mountain?  Could you make three or four
three foot sections (that would connect to each other)?  The tunnels
not curving won't matter if the tunnels are long enough, especially with
them being so far from where someone could "look down them" anyway.

How's this?  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=25907

<snip>
Imagine grey bricks wherever you see grey base plate now.

OK - Make that imagine grey bricks three times as long as what is shown.
ie. A dozen grey baseplates long.  (Yes, that is a fifteen foot mountain.)
Of course it doesn't _have_ to be that long - how long can you make it?

Re: The switching yard.  I tried making it this way last night with the
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=26033   physical track
segments, and it won't really work without cutting about one stud off
the corner.  Also, the switch handle might catch on a low hanging part
of a train car.  <sigh> These points go twice as far as they "should".

SRC
StRuCtures