 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 453
Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Mountain
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 16:34:29 GMT

We can incorperate a line going along a mountain ridge
without much difficulty.
Great.
How long can you make the mountain?  Could you make three or four
three foot sections (that would connect to each other)?  The tunnels
not curving won't matter if the tunnels are long enough, especially with
them being so far from where someone could "look down them" anyway.

How's this?  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=25907
The line at the top is the main line where most of the train running
will be.  The bottom line can be run through as the "show loop", but
the trains would be going through the curved part of switches, and
we all know how much Chris hates that.  :-)  The lower tunnel at the
back could just be a couple of short ones at either end, as the middle
"open air" section would, for the most part, be hidden behind the mountain.
I thought the front section could peek out a bit with a small "canyon"
making two tunnels one right after the other effectively.  Imagine grey
bricks wherever you see grey base plate now.  The elevated line would of
course slope gradually down along the ridge of the mountain, perhaps with
a small tunnel of it's own at the mountain peak.  This "mountain ridge"
would be a primo (pun intended) place for trees!  The trains would look
excellent running through the rock and trees of the mountain range...

I'd prefer to beg off the elevation changes inside the
mountain.  (derails...*shudder*)

I was thinking of a mountain with an open back, but
if it's enclosed, you're right.

This is a three-sided layout, so it could certainly be open
at the back.  Does that change your thinking at all?

Never mind - I just tried incorporating that into the layout, but it
won't work - a spiral goes over the edge(s) of a two foot wide table...

SRC
StRuCtures