 Star Wars / 7654
Re: Another one of those 'what's wrong with TPM' posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 16:41:16 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Christopher Tracey writes:
I think the Luke/Han relationship is very important to ANH.  It's my
impression that Han didn't care about Luke until they got trapped in the cell
block.  Even then its a relationship of convienance since Luke was on Han's
side and they were both in serious trouble.  By the end of the film, Han has
grown to respect Luke as a good friend- even though he has a hard time
admitting it.

Well, it may be important/necessary, but I never felt it their relationship to
be very well defined, expanded, or altogether interesting.

Er, I'll have to disagree wth you there.  Han's opinion of Luke goes from
"Watch your mouth, kid, or you're going to find yourself floating home" to
"You're pretty good in a fight.  We could use someone like you."  He's
offering to make Luke part of the crew of the Falcon - I can't imagine
that's something he'd do lightly!  I also think that it was his friendship
with Luke that brought him back during the Death Star attack.

There's nothing
really intreguing about their friendship... But relationships like Vader/Luke,
Leia/Han, and some others actually intice me to watch intently. There's real
meat to their relationships, whereas Luke/Han is kinda boring. Anyway, I'm not
contending that it's an unimportant relationship, but it's not the kind of
relationship that makes people want to watch movies. It's of the same quality
as Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan kinda... unexplored, uninteresting, but important.

I don't think it was unexplored - just handled with a lot more subtlety
than the "melodramatic" relationships like Luke/Vader.