 Star Wars / 7573
Re: Another one of those 'what's wrong with TPM' posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 15:56:11 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Bryan Hodges writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:
Yes!  I certainly didn't mean to imply it was the writing.  It's more the way
the characters are acted.  And at that, it's more Anakin.

I don't see this as a problem.  After all, the acting in the original trilogy
was not top notch, but that didn't keep any of us from loving it.

I don't think there is a problem with TPM, I think there's a problem with
people's expectations.  I'll admit, the first time I saw TPM I was a bit
disappointed, in fact I was downright mad that it didn't meet my
expectations.  Fortunately, I had already bought my ticket for a second
showing the next day, which made be realize how good of a movie it really is.
The second time I saw it I let go, and allowed myself to be imersed in the
Star Wars Universe.  I also came to the realization that this is Lucas' story,
not mine, and whichever way he goes with it is the way it should go, no matter
what my opinion is.  I see the Star Wars movies, ALL of them, like I see a
classic novel, or even the Bible.  You can complain all you want about how the
story goes, but in the end it's not your story, and you can't change it.
Either sit back and enjoy the story, or write your own.

I for one will be back in line to see Episode II, and if the box office sales
and video sales of TPM are any indication, I won't be alone.

-Bryan
(down from the soap box)

I admit that my expectations were really high, but...they were high because the
trailer was so great.  That trailer really pumped me up (it was actually worth
sitting through that 3 hours of coma-inducing detritus called Meet Joe Black to
see it again at the end of the credits.)  Truthfully, I'd always been hoping
that the first prequel would be made.  But, I never actually had any real
expectations for it (probably in part, because I think that ROTJ was such a
letdown - that Disney movie took a lot of wind out of my sails.)  Anyway, my
point is that I was never over-hyped about the movie (and I'm a Big SW fan [ROTJ
angst notwithstanding]) until Lucas produced that amazing trailer.  It suggested
that TPM would spectacular.

I had the opposite reaction as you.  After the first time I thought it was
great.  After the 8th time in the cinema all I can say is Blech!  (And I've seen
ANH more times than I can count, so it wasn't overexposure.)

Sure, noone can change the end of a book, but don't you expect a worthy sequel
by your favorite author?

Anyway, I'm sure that I'll be waiting in line hours ahead of time for SWII.  I'm
excited about it, but I'm not giving Lucas any more freebees.  He's given us 2
great movies, 1 awful one, and 1 marginal to bad prequel (IMO), so I'm just
hoping that he'll make it 3 out of 5, but this time around I won't expect it.