 Star Wars / 7525
Re: Another one of those 'what's wrong with TPM' posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 20:19:00 GMT

Scott:

In lugnet.starwars, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:

I think one of the major problems with The Phantom Menace is that it is • not
a 'buddy movie.'
I read the book version of the movie, and it made a whole lot of sense,
about Anakin and Padme, etc. It is a good read, because it fills in a lot of
holes that the movie seemed to miss. I think the movie would have been 1000%
clearer if some really important details from the book would have been in
the movie. I was quite surprsied.

  The problem with this, of course, is that the movie isn't the book, nor vice
versa.  As a work unto itself, we can't view the movie's quality based on the
quality of the book, because they're two distinct entities.  This happens a
lot; Silence of the Lambs was a mediocre book but a fantastic film.  TPM may
have been a fine book, but the movie still failed on many levels.  Reading the
book may enhance one's enjoyment of the film, but sadly it can't be said to
improve the quality of the film itself.

Even Jar Jar seemed better, if there is such a thing.

  Well, he couldn't have been made worse, unless his voice was like that
stupid green ghost from that stupid Ghostbusters cartoon of a few years back.
Oh, wait!  His voice *is* like that!

     Dave!