 Star Wars / 7554
Re: Another one of those 'what's wrong with TPM' posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 03:56:06 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Christopher Tracey writes:
I've been meaning to post this for some time.

I think one of the major problems with The Phantom Menace is that it is not
a 'buddy movie.'  In the original trilogy, you have several strong friendships/partnerships that
aren't present in TPM.  Examples would be
R2/C3P-O, Luke/Han, Han/Chewie, Han/Lando, Chewie/Lando, Luke/R2, Leia/Han,
etc.   In TPM, all you basically have is Qui-Gon and Obi-wan and that relationship is more of a
mentor/apprentice, rather than best-buds type.
I guess a case could be made for Artoo and Threepio meeting and getting to
know one another.

This isn't the whole reason behind why TPM disappointed many of us, but it could explain why parts
of it were lacking.  Anyone have any opinions?

-chris

A great observation, Chris.

By trying to second-guess Lucas, you could suppose that he's making a point
about life in the last days of the Old Republic. It shows only relationships
gapped by large differences of authority: "Queen"/subjects, old/young, master/
slave, council/Jedi, Jedi/padawan, adult/JarJar, mother/son. Naturally, they all
get an Emperor, who will rule over all of them. Then the Rebellion will bring
out the spirit of brotherhood in the heroes (no more old people or children.)

BUT personally I think Lucas is just a poor writer and not able to do buddy
dialogue.

I can't recall any memorable conversations from TPM. Maul didn't help any.

Stylistically, the three-way witty banter between Leia, Han, and Luke in Empire
most resembles the 'screwball' comedy. It is a great device for building buddy
characters. It is significant that Lucas hired Leigh Brackett for her experience
both in science fiction and in such screenplays.  Next time 'Rio Bravo'
(starring John Wayne) is on AMC, check it out and think of Empire: Leigh
Brackett worked on Rio Bravo's script with Jules Furthman, one of the masters of
screwball. I suspect she deserves much honor for solidifying the Star Wars
legend (how many sequels are better than the original?) (This has all been
discussed by Algys Budrys in a review in Amazing Stories which I am trying to
locate.)

Unfortunately, Lucas can't go back to that well, because the 'space opera'
writers prized by Lucas are mostly gone. Leigh Brackett died shortly after
finishing her script for Empire and never saw the movie. (Lawrence Kasdan did
further rewrites.) Her young apprentice, Ray Bradbury, would have been an
intriguing candidate to fill in (he actually ghost-wrote for Brackett once) but
that belongs to the land of what-if.

Along with "if Lucas were a better writer..."

I haven't read the novelization of TPM.

Ob. Lego: no wonder the Sith Infiltrator seems to lack character--no witty
dialogue!