 Star Wars / 7574
Re: Another one of those 'what's wrong with TPM' posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 16:03:21 GMT

You're assuming that because Qui-Gon doesn't say anything about it that
he doesn't know it. Notice how he doesn't act surprised when Amidala
reveals herself to the Gungans.

Okay, perhaps we can write off Qui-Gon, but not in a really satisfactory • way.
I would have preferred *some* indication prior to the revelation that he'd
realized it.  I'm sure Jedi have great poker faces, so maybe he was utterly
surprised but didn't show it.  I don't blame Liam Neeson--this, once again, is
the fault of poor character direction.

    Dave!

Now maybe it is just me but the second viewing I had this overwhelming thought
that Qui-Gon knew he was taking the real Queen out on Tattooine.  It also
seemed he kept trying to call her bluff.  i.e. "The Queen trusts my Judgement
and so must you."  to which the Queen replies under her breath "you assume too
much."  One misses this with the first viewing but subsequent viewings seem to
illistrate Qui-Gon dropping subtle hints (sometimes just a glare) that he knew.
Kind of like in ANH when Han says "It'll make the Kessel run in 2.3 parsecs"
and Obi-wan just smiles.
Another thing that seems very obvious now is Luke never knew how to use a
Lightsaber very well and Vader was just playing with him. Obi-wan and Vader
also seem to just toy with each other while talking.

-Lord Insanity