 Star Wars / 7517
7516  |  7518
Subject:
Another one of those 'what's wrong with TPM' posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 18:31:24 GMT

I've been meaning to post this for some time.

I think one of the major problems with The Phantom Menace is that it is not
a 'buddy movie.'  In the original trilogy, you have several strong friendships/partnerships that
aren't present in TPM.  Examples would be
R2/C3P-O, Luke/Han, Han/Chewie, Han/Lando, Chewie/Lando, Luke/R2, Leia/Han,
etc.   In TPM, all you basically have is Qui-Gon and Obi-wan and that relationship is more of a
mentor/apprentice, rather than best-buds type.
I guess a case could be made for Artoo and Threepio meeting and getting to
know one another.

This isn't the whole reason behind why TPM disappointed many of us, but it could explain why parts
of it were lacking.  Anyone have any opinions?

-chris