 Star Wars / 7608
Re: Another one of those 'what's wrong with TPM' posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 20:12:32 GMT

Just a bunch of disjointed thoughts about this thread:

C3P0 in TPM - I thought it was hokey and severely contrived that Anakin built
him.  If it was necessary to introduce C3P0 in this movie, I think it should
have been in a more reasonable way.

C3P0 in the original trilogy - I think he was a crucial character, not at all
like Jar Jar (what is with that rastafarian accent? blech).  He served as
R2D2's translator to the audience.

Scott Costello said, "Many, myself included, feel that the comic book series
took some liberties, but according to Lucasarts these works are just as much
Star Wars cannon as the movies."  I used to have a Star Wars comic book where
Jabba the Hutt was a snarling humanoid in a space suit, chasing Han and
Chewbacca.  I sure wish I still had it.

Darth Maul - definitely a favourite character of mine.  When watching the
movie, I was hoping he would survive so he would appear in the next film.  The
location of the final duel was not selected metely for dramatic effect - Maul
obviously planned the location.  That way he could isolate the two Jedi for
fair, one-on-one fights.

Watto - He annoyed me in the movie, before I knew the explanation.  I thought,
"How the heck does he stay airborne with such slow, tiny wings??  That's a
stupid, computer-generated effect."  It was only later when I was perusing
through a book about the film that I learned he was filled with some lighter-
than-air gas.  He's a living blimp!  That's cool.

The gungun sub scene - dumb.  "Here are our heroes, once again sidestepping
certain death at every turn!"  How pointless.  Somewhat like the space worm in
ESB, except the space worm scene was a much smaller investment, and IMO more
entertaining.

Light saber duels - the ones in the original trilogy were reminiscent of
older, Errol Flynn-like sword duels.  The ones in TPM had the benefit of
modern martial-arts film choreography.  Saying the original duels were the
result of old men and a young, learning Luke is a convenient way of explaining
away the glaring difference to the audience.  That's not a complaint - I'm
satisfied by the explanation, and the duels in TPM were incredible.

Finally, TPM was not as good as I had hoped, but it was better than I
expected.  The reason is that is was intended to appeal to a kid audience,
where ANH appealed to a universal audience.

Jeff J