 Star Wars / 7519
Re: Another one of those 'what's wrong with TPM' posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 19:20:53 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:
I think one relationship- maybe the biggest one in the movie- fell very flat:
The relationship between Padme and Anakin.  They are supposed to be very close
at by end of the movie, but it just doesn't work for me.  Padme seems too old,
and Anakin too young- I get the sense of her being amused by a young child,
not forming a close relationship as peers.

Part of the problem with this "relationship" isn’t so much the writing (which,
admittedly, is a factor) as the direction.  Liam Neeson and Ewan MacGregor are
actual actors, and they could barely stay afloat under George’s
unsophisticated character direction.  How much worse is it for Amidala and
Anakin, who, accomplished for their ages though they be, still require
guidance to help make their characters sympathetic and interesting.

And let’s not even talk about JarJar.

On second thought, let’s!  I hear he (Ahmed Best) has already been
confirmed for Episode II, The Apology.  I would say with some confidence that
CupCup is hands-down one of the worst characters I’ve ever seen in a "serious"
film—that is, a film which actually aspires to be "good."
I know JarJar bashing is almost cliché, but with the news that we’re
doomed to see him return, it seemed appropriate to lament his character once
more…

Dave!