 Star Wars / 7634
Re: Another one of those 'what's wrong with TPM' posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 12:40:44 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Christopher Tracey writes:
I've been meaning to post this for some time.

I think one of the major problems with The Phantom Menace is that it is not
a 'buddy movie.'  In the original trilogy, you have several strong • friendships/partnerships that
aren't present in TPM.  Examples would be
R2/C3P-O, Luke/Han, Han/Chewie, Han/Lando, Chewie/Lando, Luke/R2, Leia/Han,
etc.   In TPM, all you basically have is Qui-Gon and Obi-wan and that • relationship is more of a
mentor/apprentice, rather than best-buds type.
I guess a case could be made for Artoo and Threepio meeting and getting to
know one another.

This isn't the whole reason behind why TPM disappointed many of us, but it • could explain why parts
of it were lacking.  Anyone have any opinions?

Sorry, just had to drop in two more cents to the collection plate...

You're pretty darn close to right. One of the things that makes stories
interesting is connections. Not necessarily friend/friend relationships but
also love, hate, jealousy, betrayal, etc. Interpersonal relationships in
addition plot make for a good story. Plot alone isn't enough to tell a good
story. And that's a HUGE part of what was missing in TPM.

The original trilogy had a bunch of relationships, some of which made the
trilogy all the better-- the main two (I think) being Luke/Vader and Leia/Han.
But there's also Luke/Ben, Leia/Luke, Ben/Vader, R2/3PO, Han/Lando, Han/Jabba,
and a few more that really give the movie flavor. There ARE some connections,
though, that aren't very interesting to the movie (IMHO, obviously), like
Luke/Han and Luke/Yoda. It's not that they're not good relationships, but
they're primarily self-exlplanitory, ordinary, and unexplored.

The problem with TPM is that it's jam packed with connections that COULD be
interesting but wind up boring, ordinary, unexplored, etc. Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan
COULD have been a great relationship (why in the world does Obi-Wan take his
master's death so seriously? It'd be great if we KNEW why-- what's their
backstory? Why did Qui-Gon choose Obi-Wan as his apprentice? Why should we
place any concern on their relationship?), but their relationship was totally
left out of the movie.  Same with Anakin's relationships... he doesn't bind
with anybody because he lacks any backstory whatsoever, as do most of the other
characters... Lucas even missed the opportunity in Darth Maul-- why not have
him be connected to SOMEONE... ANYONE, other than Darth Sidious (which was
another connection ignored by the movie)...

Anyway, I was greatly dissappointed by the fact that we have a few minutes of
rendered sea monsters, useless shots of the battles, etc, rather than that
little bit of history that could have opened up the movie tenfold.

My $.02,
DaveE