 Off-Topic / Fun / 4323
Re: Telemarketers can bite my cuticle (Was: Informal WB Store Survey)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 02:10:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, John Neal writes:
My stock phrase uses a few more big words to thwart generally illiterate
solicitors:  "I apologize, but this household's policy prevents patronization
of telephone solicitation."  Usually, they give up in a rather dazed and
confused
manner.

;John

After I was bored out of my mind and read my state's Public Utilities
Commission rules for telephone solicitors (they're probably in the front part
of your phone book), I would answer calls I knew to be telephone solicitors,
just to let them break the rules. As soon as they transgressed against the PUC
rules, I would interrupt them to ask the name of their company, their
manager's name and phone number (usually, when you throw a solicitor off guard
they will happily supply this information). I would then inform them that they
had violated the Oregon State Public Utilities Commission rules for telephone
solicitors and instruct them to remove my name from their lists (it's a
US$1000 fine if they fail to comply) and let them know that I would be
reporting their company to the PUC (I usually didn't; its a royal hassle [even
moreso than telemarketers!]).

That usually put the kibosh on their company calling me back. As I stated
elsewhere; I don't get many telephone solicitors calling me these days. *grin*

-Cheese