 Marketplace / Theory / 877
Re: Informal WB Store Survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 06:04:19 GMT

escalated to the public utilities commision. All because they wanted to
charge me to change my phone number because they had given me a number
which had at one time been a CVS loading dock phone, and apparently some
phone booths still had phone books with that number in it, and I kept
getting 3 AM calls from truckers needing directions (I even went so far
as to call the CVS corporate offices and determined that they didn't
still have the number in their internal directories).

*WARNING*  Long rant about the phone company follows..... (It's even worse
then what happened to you!)

I don't know what phone company you have, but here in Ameritechland the
service sucks and they try to charge you for everything.  I've had noting
but trouble with them.

Back in the days, I ran an 8 line BBS from my room at my parents house.  (I
have very understanding parents.  We were most likely the only people to
have a 16 line box mounted to the side of the house.  Not to mention the
satelite dish for the usenet feed, but I digress...)

Well, I finally moved out, and figured I would just order 10 lines for my
new house. (8 for the BBS plus 2 voice).  Wrong Answer.  I was informed by
Ameritech that there were not facilities available to handle my order.  They
could give me 2 lines at most.  They would, however, run new copper lines
down my street for me at the low, low cost of $3,000.  As the BBS was a
hobby and not a business, this was out of the question.

Using my theory that if you don't get the answer you want, just call back
and talk to someone else until you do, I went round and round with Ameritech
for some time over this.  Eventually I got a more suitable answer.  It
appears that I was going about it all wrong.  While I could not get 10 NEW
lines, I could actually TRANSFER the 8 lines from my mom's house.  How the
fact that I was transfering the lines miraculously made new copper lines
spontaneously appear on my street still escapes me, but the lines were
installed.  (With all associated fees for transferring lines and such).

Unfortunately, my troubles with ameritech didn't end there.  Because of
where I was moving to, I could not keep my existing phone numbers as I was
on a different switch.  A pain, as I had to get the new number out to all
the BBS users, but not unsurmountable.

The problem came after I was moved in and had the BBS up and running.  The
lines weren't rolling over properly, and only the first 3 numbers were
actually receiving calls.  I spent several MONTHS with various levels of
their tech support trying to figure out the problem.  I could call out on
the line with no problems.

Calls to the line would be answered and the modems would try to sync up, but
never did.  They kept trying to say the problem was at my end, but i'd
checked all the hardware, switched modems, etc. so i knew it wasn't.
Unfortunately, I never actually watched the modem bank WHILE I was trying to
connect to that line (I couldn't see it from where I was dialing in from).

While the line was answering, and *A* modem was trying to sync, it was not
MY modem!  It seems that they had assign me a number in the middle of my
roll over lines THAT WAS ALREADY IN USE!!!  I discovered this ONLY by
looking up the phone number and discovering it was actually the fax line at
some company!  Now how they could have a system set up that would allow this
is beyond me.

This of course led to many more months of trying to get a credit for months
of charges for lines that I could not actually use because of THEIR mistake,
but I've babbled enough for now.

Troy