 Marketplace / Shopping / 2587
Re: Informal WB Store Survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 20:43:00 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Mike Stanley writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Steve Martin writes:
Did anyone read the TERMS OF USE on the wbstore.com website?  Here is an
extract.  Now it all makes sense.  They don't promise to do ANYTHING!!!  I'll
never buy from them again!!! Boycott wbstore.com !!!

Wow.  I understand that some of you guys feel some sort of righteous rage over
this (mostly) insignificant burp in the ecommerce world, but before you start
making statements that imply that you're going to boycott any online store
with policies like these, you may want to take a look at the policies of a
whole lot of other stores.

Because if you're honestly going to avoid shopping at online stores with
policies like these, you won't be doing much online shopping.

I realize most stores have these type of legal loopholes to keep lawsuits at
bay due to honest errors.  This I don't mind.  However, when a company uses
this to be their standard practices (and I don't know how you can see it as
otherwise when less than 10% of the orders were filled), that is when I have a
problem with it.

When www.thetoyshop.com had their mis-post of the 8480 prices etc, they
cancelled the orders.  BUT, they bent over backwards to be nice to the people
who placed orders.  They notified me that the order had canceled.  They gave
me a 10% discount on my next order.  The wbstore didn't even email me that the
order had been cancelled.  If I hadn't read on LUGNET that people were having
problems, I wouldn't have checked my order status yet.

Besides, just because they put a disclaimer out like that, it doesn't
necessarily mean that it is legal.  It could be just to frighten away from
people causing them grief.

-Steve