 Off-Topic / Fun / 4294
Re: Telemarketers can bite my cuticle (Was: Informal WB Store Survey)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 01:13:27 GMT

James Brown wrote:
My stock phrase is "I'm sorry, I don't respond to telephone solicitation."
Just on the off chance that it percolates up the chain...

Nope.  IT NEVER GOES UP THE CHAIN.

The poor telemarketer is working for some schlock company hired to do the
actual calls, not the company they say they're calling for.  Furthermore, the
phone number list is given to (rather than collected by) the telemarketer's
company, and this transfer is one-way.  Requests for you to not be called
again will only apply within that telemarketing company, and that's assuming
they'll honor your verbal request, why by law they aren't obligated to.  (Only
written requests are required by law to be followed, and there's no way to
guarantee Name List Company A won't turn around and sell you to Name List
Company B.)  And that's assuming that the telemarketing company even gives
their lackeys the capability to remove names; most often, the telemarketer is
restricted to marking you either "earned us money" or "call back later".

When I was working the phones at Matrixx Marketing and Western Watts (what is
it with these companies and double consonants? dunno) a telephone slam was a
blessing to me.  It meant I was through one more call, and I didn't have to
talk to that person ever again.  The worst calls were the ones that took
forever, or that involved "customers" who would play with my mind.  The
"customers" who carried the call to insane lengths of time, only then to dump
me, those were the worst.  And there wasn't a thing I could do about it;
unless the "customer" was being overtly abusive, I couldn't even terminate the
call.

So a review:

- Quick hang-up == good for telemarketer, bad for you, you're still on their
list.
- Lengthy, almost-abusive call == bad for telemarketer, fun yor you, you're
still on their list.

Abuse the hell out of them.  You're doing them a favor.

Cheers,
- jsproat

The glass is half empty, rapidly evaporating,
  and breeding bacteria which will chew your skin off.
   - Benevolent and Loyal Order Of Pessimists