 Marketplace / Shopping / 2602
Re: Informal WB Store Survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 15:17:32 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
So I said OK. He then proceeded down the path of charging me the current
price (full retail) instead of the price I paid before. No no, I said...
he had to actually go ask a supervisor if it was OK to fix it.

This summer I had an interesting run around to get something for the
price I conducted a transaction at. I still had a little bit of that
airline scrip from the settlement a few years back, and since the last
time I tried to use it at a travel agent, they were going to charge me a
$20 service fee (for using $20 worth of scrip - gee what a deal). So
this time, I called the airline directly (I had done this another time,
and went to the airport to pay for the ticket). The agent went through
all the questions, and gave me my final price. A few days later, the
airline called and said I would need to mail the scrip in, and asked me
to call them back. When I called back, they asked me what the expiration
date on the scrip was, turned out it did have an expiration date in very
small print on the scrip which was past due. I made the argument though
that the booklet the scrip came in had a list of blackout dates in much
larger print in the rules, which included dates beyond the scrip
expiration date, and the rules made no mention of the expiration date. I
also pointed out that the original agent should have asked me about the
expiration date. Now I realize I have limited standing here, but I've
also been told repeatedly to try and push for a satisfactory settlement.
So I asked for a supervisor. He started off on this long train of trying
to get me a new reservation at a different time so he could give me a
better price. I finally said that that was b* *t. At that point the
supervisor realized he was not communicating very well that he was
trying to get me a ticket for a price at least as good as the price I
had been quoted earlier, and finally gave me the original flights
(actually, I think they were different, I think the first time, I was
returning through Chicago and my actuall return was through Dallas). It
turned out that he was authorized to make me a deal, BUT he couldn't
just honor the quoted price, he had to use a legitimate fare code. Final
result, a quite happy Frank because the final deal was CHEAPER that my
original fare!

Of course another time I had a run in with customer service at the phone
company, and when I didn't get satisfaction, I tried the next number up
the list in the phone book. After calling a the top number in the phone
book, I suddenly got a sympathetic listener. In this case, the phone
company really blew it. When I calmed down, I realized I had just
escalated to the public utilities commision. All because they wanted to
charge me to change my phone number because they had given me a number
which had at one time been a CVS loading dock phone, and apparently some
phone booths still had phone books with that number in it, and I kept
getting 3 AM calls from truckers needing directions (I even went so far
as to call the CVS corporate offices and determined that they didn't
still have the number in their internal directories).

follow-ups to lugnet.market.theory

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com