 Off-Topic / Fun / 4320
Re: Telemarketers can bite my cuticle (Was: Informal WB Store Survey)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 01:55:48 GMT

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Tom McDonald writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
But I FULLY ADVOCATE being mean to telemarketers.  Abuse them until they
quit.  obdisclaimer:  I've worked for two telemarketing firms.  What a
horrible, evil, soul-destroying job.  When you help a telemarketer quit,
you're doing them a favor.  Jeez, flipping burgers is a more satisfying job
than telephone solicitation.

I just discovered a new tactic for handling them, after BMG music called
three times last week:

"Huh?  You guys just called me ten minutes ago.  If you don't get your act
together, I'll take my business elsewhere.  *click*"

Wow, you're nice. As soon as I can detect a telemarketer, I say, "No thanks,"
and it's doubtful they even hear me say the end of the word "thanks" because
the phone is probably already back down[1]. I do that no matter how many times
they call, or else if I think it's them again, the machine takes it. And I
always ask who it is/who they represent before I don't give my name.

My stock phrase is "I'm sorry, I don't respond to telephone solicitation."

My stock phrase uses a few more big words to thwart generally illiterate
solicitors:  "I apologize, but this household's policy prevents patronization of
telephone solicitation."  Usually, they give up in a rather dazed and confused
manner.

;John

Just on the off chance that it percolates up the chain...

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/