 Off-Topic / Fun / 4283
4282  |  4284
Subject:
Wrong number fun (was RE:Informal WB Store Survey)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 17:12:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Frank Filz writes:
but let me tell you that my mom was pretty mean
to wrong number callers... we used to have a number that was one digit
off from the local Dairy Queen, and we'd get people who would just
rattle off a takeout order. Mom would just say, "yes, your order will be
ready when you get here" and hang up. Needless to say it wouldn't be.

We have a phone line at work that for years was hooked up only to a modem.  It
is totally unlisted, and there is no legitimate reason for any right-number
calls to come in on this line.  It is, however, on our phone switch as an
extra outgoing line that we use occasionally.

When this line rings, we race each other to grab any incoming call on this
line and come up with a silly way to answer the line.  My favorites of late
include:

ME - "Hello, Wrong Number Incorporated, how can I help you?"

CALLER - "Oh, I'm sorry, I must have the wrong number..."

M - "Yes, you do, how can I help you?"

At this point I've already had most of my fun, but occasionally things get
better...

C - "Wrong Number?  What do you do there?"

M - "We are a telephone operator service, we help people find the right number
to call when they call a wrong number by mistake.  Would you like me to find
the right number for you?"

No one has ever taken me up on this.  Maybe I should keep a www.anywho.com
session open for just this...

Other favorite pranks  (CAUTION: NON-PC jokes follow)

(From J., a guy that I work with) "Buddhists for Jesus, how can I help you?"

When the caller responds that they have the wrong number, J. says, in his
deepest most monk-like voice, "There are no wrong numbers, how can I help
you?", then proceeds to try to convince the caller that they reaced us (B'sFJ)
through some Karmic mis-dialing.

(Also from J.) "Institute for the Deaf, how can I help you?"

You would be amazed how many times, and how loudly, some callers will repeat
the name of the person that they are trying to reach when confronted with this
sentence.  (Most effective when each successive re-statement of the outgoing
message is entirely inappropriately mis-timed, such as starting in the middle
of the incoming caller's sentences.

Of course, a good standby for when I don't have a lot of time is to answer the
phone, "Hi, you've got the wrong number."  You would be amazed how many people
want to debate this point.

We have even more fun with tele-marketers, but that can wait for another day.