 Off-Topic / Debate / 13018
Re: Debunk this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 11:19:32 GMT

Daniel Jassim wrote:

Well, I'm not sure where you're going with this, Larry. The Israelis have
done the exact same things to foreign journalists, you know that. Even
America has censored journalists, such as those covering American sponsored
massacres in Central America (El Salvador and Nicaragua specifically).
Several documentaries on the subject have been banned in our country, this
is a fact. I was fortunate to watch one that a college instructor had to
smuggle through Canada.

Can you site examples when Israel or the US censored a report of a civilian gathering?  not talking about details about a military operation, since that actually does make sense.  But civilian?  Also, can you site a single example of anyone actually threatening the lives of journalists if they report something?

So, assuming the author of that report you cited is being completely honest,
what is your point, Larry? That the Palestinian Authority is crooked? Yeah,
but no more crooked than the Israeli leadership, a long list of thugs as
well. Or it is that the Palestinians generally are inhuman? Yeah, I suppose
one loses their sense of humanity after decades of oppression and inhumanity.

I actually didn't see where he said they were inhuman, but it's interesting that you agree to it.

Nobody is denying that celebrations did take place since that is to be
expected (I wasn't surprised, yet still shocked). But if it makes any
difference, it has been claimed that portions of the celebration footage
aired in America was unrelated to the attack and was actually in response to
Israeli soldiers withdrawing from a Palestinian town that day. All in all,
it's one big human tragedy. Larry, if you have something else you'd like to
add or direct specifically toward me, take it off-line.

hmmm.  First you say "nobody is denying...", and that you weren't suprised.  How can you be shocked then?  And you're denying it right in the same paragraph!  "it has been claimed that portions of the celebration footage aired in America was unrelated to the attack"!  Also, read the following link about any such claims:

  http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/20/cnn.statement/

Dan