 Off-Topic / Debate / 13130
Re: Debunk this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 23:08:37 GMT

Here are my answers to Larry's questions regarding the Palestinian
Authority. This was previously in an e-mail to him but he was insistant that
I respond publicly:

IS the PA a supporter of terrorism by others?

I say NO for the simple fact that they regularly condemn terrorist attacks
on Israelis. You say YES because they allegedly support this or that group
that has been labeled "terrorist." Perhaps it needs to be fleshed out what
qualifies as "terrorist." Sharon WAS and IS a terrorist, that much is
certain. So what do we use as a benchmark? It has been my understanding one
of the PA's main policies is publicly condemning all attacks against Israel,
though I am certain they don't make a concerted enough effort at nabbing the
attackers. That's crooked and I would agree it would be an unofficial way of
supporting terrorism.

IS it a perpetrator of terrorism on its own?

Well, perhaps you could rephrase that? On its own as in they attack
Israelis? Or on its own as in they attack their own people?

IS it corrupt?

Yes, and at several different levels.

IS it a dictatorship?

I'm not sure. Maybe, but it seems that power has sort of been respectfully
deferred to Arafat since he's such a prominent person and they're used to
him being their spokesperson (sort of like Mandela before he finally got
elected president).

IS it a suppressor of rights?

Again, not sure, because "rights" are relative to the society, it's laws,
customs, etc. Are you referring to them suppressing the "rights" of press?

IS it ultimately, good for Palestinians?

Ultimately, yes but currently, no. There needs to be some restructuring of
the leadership.

IS it the best the Palestinians can do for themselves at self government or
even close?

No, it's still in limbo as far as that goes, but you have to consider the
difficulty in the whole situation (basically a pressure cooker). Desperate
times foster desperate measures.

IS the PA an impediment to peace?

Yes, but not in and of itself because the PA is not the one occupying the
land and bulldozing homes of others. I say yes because the Palestinian
leadership cannot meet eye to eye with the Israelis. It's two-fold.

Dan