 Off-Topic / Debate / 13131
Re: Thinking Out Loud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 23:46:21 GMT

A man is walking along the footpath, and sees a child run out into the road,
chasing a ball. He also sees a car coming, but the child doesn't seem to. He
decides in that moment to take action, and runs out into the road, pushing • the
child clear of the car. As a result, the little girl sustains many cuts,
scratches and bruises, and a bad hit on the head. His head connects with the
car, and he's killed instantly. The driver of the car subsequently loses
control, slamming into a tree, and later dies also.

Now, the man's action is decidely violent,

No.

And if you seriously want to make the argument that he was violent, your
understanding of violence is flawed. Seriously.

So it seems our disagreement here is based on different views of violence.

From www.dictionary.com (admittedly not a definitive source):
vi·o·lent adj.
1. Marked by, acting with, or resulting from great force: a violent attack.
2. Having or showing great emotional force: violent dislike.
3. Marked by intensity; extreme: violent pain; a violent squall. See Synonyms
at intense.
4. Caused by unexpected force or injury rather than by natural causes: a
violent death.
5. Tending to distort or injure meaning, phrasing, or intent.

I think the man's action falls into both 1 and 4, and possibly 2.

And where's your evidence that the people on board flight 93 didn't do
something similar?

having directly caused injury to the
girl, his own death, and possibly contributing to the death of the driver. • Was
he a violent man?

Not based on this evidence. This is a pretty irrelevant example, really.

Some people on that
flight apparently weren't pacifists.

*That* is a much more agreeable statement than the one I disagreed with
earlier.

I wasn't referring to the hijackers.

Neither was I. Given that a certain percentage of Americans are non-pacifists
[1], it's logical to assume a certain number of the passengers on flight 93
were also non-pacifists. I just don't see any evidence which definitely
includes those who took action in that number.

It's essentially the same thing I said
before.

To re-quote:

"Thank *all that is worth living for* that the heroes on board that flight
*weren't* pacifists."

This implies to me that, specifically, the people (by all reports, at least 4),
who took action were definitely not pacifists.

Some people on that
flight apparently weren't pacifists.

This however doesn't attempt to label any particular passenger on the flight,
terrorist or otherwise. In fact it doesn't definitely imply that *anyone* on
the flight was not a pacifist (unless you take "apparenty" to mean
"definitely").

That's a pretty big difference IMO.

ROSCO

[1] No, I don't have any statistics - In my opinion, this percentage is
probably not negligible, and thus the actual numbers are not really relevant.