 Off-Topic / Debate / 13133
Re: Thinking Out Loud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 00:08:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

<snip>

Ross, you're wriggling around, for no real reason I can see, except to avoid
admitting the truth of my answer to Horst's question:

Horst said:

(Larry forgot who said):
What do you think pacifism at a time like now is going to get us?
All it will get us is more innocent Americans (among others) killed.

And your evidence for that is ... ?

And I answered that what was done on flight 93 was *not* an act of pacifism.

You're going around and around trying to deny that it took the use of force
(not the initiation of it, the terrorists did that) to accomplish what was
accomplished.

Although we may never know, for sure, *exactly*, what happened, it is now
pretty clear (not 100%, but 99+% which is good enough for me):

- The plane was hijacked.
- Some people took it on themselves (after some consultation among
themselves and with others not on the plane) to act against the hijackers.
- That action was forceful and was not something a pacifist would, or could
(and still remain a pacifist) do.
- The action, while failing to save the lives of those on the plane, did
thwart the aims of the hijackers and almost certainly averted a greater tragedy.

No amount of quibbling about "what violence means" or who did what or how
they did it or whether it was a "charge" (1) or an unarmed attack, or how
many people on board the plane WERE pacifists is going to change the
essential truth of this assertion:

Pacificm is not the answer to everything. There is a time for pacifism.
There is a time for action. The heroes on 93 knew the difference and acted
appropriately.

Do you challenge the essential truth of that assertion? I don't think you
actually do, do you?

Really, then... What point are you trying to make? Why don't you stop this
sillyness? Your continued quibbling about this is starting to get annoying,
and it certainly isn't accomplishing anything. What purpose does it serve
except to move you further in the Scott Arthur direction on the "debater's
continuum"???

Give it up. Admit you were wrong to even start this silly subthread.

1 - THAT is the most ludicrous straw you've grasped in this whole sorry
thread...

++Lar