 Off-Topic / Debate / 12957
Re: Thinking Out Loud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 18:42:01 GMT

snippo

But it's not a "conventional" dictatorship. There is no charismatic despot,
no military junta; just a whole lot of fundamentalist imams and a generation
of men whose only education was war and the Koran. I don't believe that
"toppling a dictator" is ever sufficient to change a country's government:
in Afghanistan there isn't even a dictator to topple.

Agreed. I wasn't keen on the "nation building" exercise we tried in Somalia,
it failed dismally. But maybe that's what is required here. I have no idea.

The Somalia analogy holds for a decade ago, I think, when several factions
had a more or less equal hold on different parts of the country. Now I'd say
Afghanistan has "stabilised" as a decentralised theocracy.

What's the alternative though? I am *opposed* to just going in and
indiscriminately lobbing bombs or killing civilians. That will accomplish
nothing. Something much more akin to careful disassembly is required.

Problem is, that's a great metaphor and sounds good but isn't exactly a plan
you can just roll out.

First make it clear that the US priority is to prosecute terrorists and
destroy their resources, not to fight a holy war against the Taliban.

No foreigners can change Afghanistan's government -- reform has to come from
the Afghanis themselves. I think the way to do it is with a long term plan.
Provide education and health aid, empower ethnic minorities and encourage
religious diversity. Like any text, there's more than one way for mortals to
read the Koran.

--DaveL