 Off-Topic / Debate / 13223
Re: Thinking Out Loud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:17:10 GMT

But we MUST not knee jerk, as tempting as that is. This war will be a long
one, a tough one, perhaps the toughest war we have ever tried to prosecute.

So what did you mean when you said this less than 4 days after the attack?

==+==
Secretary Powell declined to specify what would
be done but said a week deadline for all of bin Laden's organization to be
turned over to the west was not unreasonable. He's being too generous.
==+==

  Sounds entirely consistent to me.   The first message expressed a desire
to have the existing powers-that-be in Afghanistan turn over bin Laden on
their own, rather than simply rolling out NATO within the week (and without
due consideration) to storm Afghanistan and take him by force.  The second
message is a caution reinforcing exactly that idea:  Eric was advised not to
pursue a course dictated by blind fury or righteous anger, but rather to
allow event to unfold along a well-planned and well-considered route.
  How do you perceive these to be inconsistent?

     Dave!