 Off-Topic / Debate / 13093
Re: Thinking Out Loud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 12:04:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:
Hello Eric,

I have to jump in...

So do I. BTW, I think I understand at least part of the emotionality of the
issue, but we simply cannot afford to let our action be guided by it, so
here goes my response:

What do you think pacifism at a time like now is going to get us?
All it will get us is more innocent Americans (among others) killed.

And your evidence for that is ... ?

Flight 93.

Thank *all that is worth living for* that the heroes on board that flight
*weren't* pacifists.

I heard on the news today (unconfirmed, so it could be wrong) that the
cockpit voice recorder on 93 has "clear evidence of sounds of battle in the
cockpit just prior to the plane going down".

Pacifists don't typically get involved in battles.

However I think being a passenger on a hijacked airliner, with reports that at
least one other similar airliner may have just flown straight into a
not-so-very-far-away building, is *not* a typical situation. Consider:

A man is walking along the footpath, and sees a child run out into the road,
chasing a ball. He also sees a car coming, but the child doesn't seem to. He
decides in that moment to take action, and runs out into the road, pushing the
child clear of the car. As a result, the little girl sustains many cuts,
scratches and bruises, and a bad hit on the head. His head connects with the
car, and he's killed instantly. The driver of the car subsequently loses
control, slamming into a tree, and later dies also.

Now, the man's action is decidely violent, having directly caused injury to the
girl, his own death, and possibly contributing to the death of the driver. Was
he a violent man? Not enough imformation. Was he a pacifist? Again, NEI (IMO).

Some people on that
flight apparently weren't pacifists.

*That* is a much more agreeable statement than the one I disagreed with
earlier.

ROSCO