 Off-Topic / Debate / 12959
Re: Thinking Out Loud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 19:58:37 GMT

<snip>

What's the alternative though? I am *opposed* to just going in and
indiscriminately lobbing bombs or killing civilians. That will accomplish
nothing. Something much more akin to careful disassembly is required.

Problem is, that's a great metaphor and sounds good but isn't exactly a plan
you can just roll out.

First make it clear that the US priority is to prosecute terrorists and
destroy their resources, not to fight a holy war against the Taliban.

But the Taliban are akin to the terrorists.  It is just coincidence that they
also happen to rule Afghanistan.

No foreigners can change Afghanistan's government -- reform has to come from
the Afghanis themselves.

In Afghanistan, going against the government gets you dead.  Pretty hard to go
against that.

I think the way to do it is with a long term plan.

Who's plan?  the Afghanis?  Some Western Plan?

Provide education and health aid, empower ethnic minorities and encourage
religious diversity.

Again with the Taliban in power this only gets you dead.  If you want to change
things they need help from the outside that means forceably removing the
Taliban government.

Like any text, there's more than one way for mortals to
read the Koran.

Not according to the Taliban....

Eric Kingsley