 Off-Topic / Debate / 13096
Re: Thinking Out Loud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 13:00:42 GMT

I see you've chosen to try to worm out rather than admit your error. I
expected better from you, Ross.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

A man is walking along the footpath, and sees a child run out into the road,
chasing a ball. He also sees a car coming, but the child doesn't seem to. He
decides in that moment to take action, and runs out into the road, pushing the
child clear of the car. As a result, the little girl sustains many cuts,
scratches and bruises, and a bad hit on the head. His head connects with the
car, and he's killed instantly. The driver of the car subsequently loses
control, slamming into a tree, and later dies also.

Now, the man's action is decidely violent,

No.

And if you seriously want to make the argument that he was violent, your
understanding of violence is flawed. Seriously.

Hence the example, too, is flawed.

having directly caused injury to the
girl, his own death, and possibly contributing to the death of the driver. Was
he a violent man?

Not based on this evidence. This is a pretty irrelevant example, really.

Some people on that
flight apparently weren't pacifists.

*That* is a much more agreeable statement than the one I disagreed with
earlier.

I wasn't referring to the hijackers. It's essentially the same thing I said
before.

++Lar