 Off-Topic / Debate / 12935
Re: Thinking Out Loud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:25:17 GMT

Snipping a lot of good stuff, to focus on one issue. I particularly liked the "War on
Drugs" -- "War on Terror" analogy.

Some have suggested that now is not the time to talk of peace or
alternatives to war.  But if now is not the time, when is the time?  It is
easy to talk of peace in a time of peace because it requires no effort.  I
ask those inclined to war to consider their better natures and to look for a
more generous alternative.  I ask this generosity not so much for the sake
of our possible enemies, as for ourselves.  Perhaps you have heard it said
that "Vengeance cuts both ways."

Warmongering in a time of war feels like patriotism.  But believe me, true
patriots also talk of peace and love their country no less for it.

I try to be a pacifist: as Richard says, it's a position that's only really
challenging when war looms. The more I think about it the more I am
convinced that any military offensive in the Middle East will be a grave
mistake, morally as well as logistically and politically. Homicidal maniacs
need to be subdued and murderers need to be prosecuted, preferably in an
international forum. But should civilians die because their country shelters
a war-mongering born-again former playboy? The assault on the people of the
United States was wrong: an attack on the people of Afghanistan would also
be wrong.

Be angry about last Tuesday's murders, and have the courage not to seek
revenge. People might also consider signing the petition at
http://www.9-11peace.org/petition/ .

Shalom
DaveL