 Off-Topic / Debate / 13067
13066  |  13068
Subject:
Raving Out Loud (was: Thinking Out Loud...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 16:59:13 GMT

Eric, your note suggests that you just generally missed the point.  But there
are few point in particular that I think are worth making.

Well sir, I suggest you keep your big mouth shut and not say that in public.

Your tone suggests not only that you think his safety could be imperiled, but
also that you wouldn't be too upset about it.  What is going on in your mind to
present yourself that way?  Are Americans now not free to criticize the actions
or language of the president?

Actually I prefer the dead part.

So without real evidence, we should be gallivanting off across the globe to
murder folks because our populace is in an outrage?  Is this merely a statement
of personal preference, or an opinion of public policy.

...where are the TRUE defenders of our great republic?  I for one did not
change my views about ANYTHING just because of the events of 911. That's
what the terrorists want -- that is what I will not do.

If you
think we should sit back and let the terrorists do as they please I suggest
moving to Afganistan then and see how you like it.

That's not what he said.  Worse yet, you are making anti-American implications
against someone who is publicly revering the ideas which have made America
great.  And you have the gall to suggest that he leave?  If you don't like the
principles upon which this country was founded, I'd say _you_ could take a
hike.

You seem to think it is a virtue that you can hold to your views after such an
event.  I don't.  You need to put the world in its current context and
establish your views accordingly.  You can't just use the world in its context
of 2 weeks ago and say basically nothing has changed.

MORALITY HAS NOT CHANGED!  Our opinion of safety, security, lifestyle,
appropriate foreign policy, etc. can and should change as a result of this.
Fundamentally, our role as individuals within the greater sociosphere doesn't
need to.  I think it is a virtue that Richard is clear headed about what makes
the US great.  The pictures that I see forming in the president's words, and
some popular opinion, show a nation not worth having at all.  If you want us to
become wicked as a result of this great tragedy (though really, how bad is
this compared to other disasters?) then why shouldn't the rest of the world
attack us?

I hope you (and everyone) are able to rethink your aggression at some point
prior to our commission of atrocities.

Chris