 Off-Topic / Debate / 13108
Re: Thinking Out Loud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 19:22:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Kingsley writes:
Well first of all we are all wearing our emotions pretty close to the vest
now-a-days so I may have said something I wouldn't have under normal
circumstances.  Unfortunately these arn't normal circumstances.

No, actually these circumstances are VERY normal.  Violence goes on in our
world everyday in the name of capitalism -- whether it is the sweatshop that
made your sneakers, or trade in South American women for use as captive
prostitutes.  I am sorry that I must be the one to bring you this message of
despair, but there is a price to be paid for our way of life in the west --
a price that is often paid as human misery elsewhere in the world.  I think
to deny this is almost to deny scientific reality -- think of it as the law
economic entropy, where the available means to do work or create wealth is
limited by the means of exchange, and others elsewhere suffer for it.
Things are no different today than they were a year ago -- there is misery
in the world.  If you didn't know that, this is your wake up call.

If I may be so bold as to identify your problem, Eric, it is simply one of
hysterical confusion.  You seem to think that somehow the nature of your
reality has shifted since the events of 911; and of course, I disagree with
that assessment of matters.

I liken your approach to the issue to what happens when you poke an anthill
with your finger. I guess inside the anthill you have probably collapsed a
tunnel or some other internal structure.  As a result the ants coming
running out of the anthill for the safety of the open air, they run around
in a frenzy and one can almost imagine them shouting, "O my god! O my god!"
But in a short while the ants realize that nothing more seems to be
happening, so they calm down and get to work rebuilding the hill and
clearing the now collapsed areas of their home.  Reality is as it was before
the momentary crisis.

I suggest you do as the ants and I do, but I also suggest that there must
come a time when you ease down and go back to life as it was and ever shall
be.  Nothing has changed.  This is your wake up call.

-- Hop-Frog