 Off-Topic / Debate / 12996
Re: Thinking Out Loud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 00:07:32 GMT

Hello Eric,

I have to jump in...

So do I. BTW, I think I understand at least part of the emotionality of the
issue, but we simply cannot afford to let our action be guided by it, so
here goes my response:

What do you think pacifism at a time like now is going to get us?
All it will get us is more innocent Americans (among others) killed.

And your evidence for that is ... ?

Do you think these people are just going to stop now?  Do you think if we say
"Please don't do that again" that they will listen?

Nobody suggested that. Read Richard's original posting, and you will see.

For goodness sake (I am really trying to stay in control here), I don't think
we should just bomb the heck our of any country and kill innocent civilians
but
I do think our military, whether that be bombs, special opps, or full scale
invasion is required

... to reach which goal exactly?

and unfortunately when that happens innocents will more
than likely get in the way.

... and those who survive will refuel the terrorist camps your strategy
missed -- and my guess is that this will be most of them.

Basically, this issue is simple. Nobody can offer a solution that will work
for sure. That doesn't make a strategy that is doomed to fail any more
attractive. And I simply don't see how bombing Afghanistan should hit bin
Laden. Or how invading Afghanistan should work. I don't even know whether
bin Laden is still there ...

Greetings

Horst