 Off-Topic / Debate / 13055
Re: Thinking Out Loud...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:30:24 GMT

Pacifism (as we all know and accept it to mean) would not have accomplished
anything useful on 93. Nothing you can say will change that. There is a
place for pacifism. This wasn't it.

  An *excellent* point.  In addition, your point illustrates a good
refutation of the oft-quoted line by Gandhi about "many things are worth
dying for, nothing is worth killing for."
  If, for instance, the passengers had reason to suspect, as they may have
had, that the hijackers intended to crash the jet into a high-population
target, and if the only way to stop the hijackers from killing potentially
thousands of people was to kill the hijackers, can anyone truly say that it
would not have been appropriate for the passengers to kill the hijackers?
If it were in the passengers' power to kill the hijackers (but if no other
means of stopping them existed) then failure to stop/kill the hijackers
(knowing that the hijackers would kill thousands) is tantamount to the
passengers themselves killing the thousands, or at the very least
authorizing the killing of thousands.
  To suggest, from the comfort of one's desk, that pacifism would have been
a better option on Flight 93 is simply ridiculous and frankly naive.

     Dave!